Thursday 5 February 2015

A great base for a pale face

So if you haven't noticed already, I'm pretty damn pale. Because of this, I used to find it really difficult when it came to my base make-up but over the past few years I've found a few bits and pieces that really work for my pale complexion! I know a few fellow pale people that struggle with finding a decent foundation or whatever so I thought I'd make this post to give you guys some ideas of what might work for you!


1. Sunscreen: Kiehl's Ultra Light Daily UV Defense - SPF  50 PA+++ ($65.00 AUD)

First and foremost in any pale persons (or anyone's in general, really) make-up routine should be sunscreen, especially for those of us who live in places such as good ol' sunny Australia. To keep the freckles in check (I love my freckles but I would rather my skin not get any more sun damaged) I use the Kheil's Ultra Light Daily UV Defense SPF 50+ sunscreen. I've been using this sunscreen for the past few months and it's honestly the best I've ever tried! I have very sensitive skin and with previous sunscreens I either broke out in a rash (real attractive, I know) or the sunscreen was great but had an oily texture to it, which doesn't feel all that fantastic. But this sunscreen is incredibly light and non-greasy! Whilst it is very expensive, I've found it does a much better than job than every drugstore sunscreen and other high-end sunscreens I've managed to try over the years so it's definitely worth the investment. 


Next step to ensuring a fantastic base is of course, primer! You can really use any primer that you like (or none if you prefer) and I've recently been using this Too Faced Primed and Poreless skin smoothing face primer. This is similar to Benefit's POREfessional, though much cheaper, and I feel as though it does a much better job when it comes to actually keeping my make-up on through-out the day instead of just ensuring my pores are smooth. 

3. Foundation: Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation SPF 15 ($68.00 AUD) 

Foundation is usually the most difficult step when it comes to finding a great base routine for us pale people. Over the years I've tried so many foundations and every time I tried a drugstore foundation I broke out or got a rash (again, super duper attractive- thank you sensitive skin) and when it came to more expensive foundations they were usually more yellow based than pink based (which is what I need). Nearly a year ago now, I had my make-up done for a university ball and I tried the Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation in the shade Porcelain (as pale as you can get... typical) and I've never looked back. This foundation really is like a second skin, it's incredibly light, easy to blend and if you want more coverage you can easily apply more layers on top. I would recommend this foundation to anyone, but for those of you with pale skin, definitely check this one out!


4. Concealer: NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer ($35.00 AUD) & Clinique Anti-Blemish Solutions Clearing Concealer ($35.00 AUD)

Concealer is something that not every one needs but something I find myself reaching for on a daily basis. I'm actually currently looking for a new under-eye concealer to try (if you have any suggestions please let me know) but for now I'm using the NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in the shade Vanilla. This is a fantastic under-eye concealer and does a decent job at covering those charming under-eye circles without creasing but I've recently decided that the shade might be a little to yellow for me! I think I might have to give the next palest shade a try. For blemishes I use the Clinique Anti-Blemish Solutions Clearing Concealer and have continuously used this stuff for years. This is a very blend-able and build-able concealer that is perfect for covering those spots and dots.

5. Powder: Chanel Natural Loose Powder ($71.00 AUD)

Powder is something many people don't need in their make-up routine but it's something I use on a daily basis so I thought I would mention it any way. I was lucky enough to receive my current powder as a very generous gift for Christmas and have been loving it! The Chanel Natural Loose Powder is very light weight and sets my makeup perfectly. I never have to touch up my make-up throughout the day and have found this works wonders when trying to prevent foundation or concealer creasing.

6: Blush, Bronze & Highlight!

Last but not least is bringing a little bit of colour back into our pale complexions! I'm more of a blush and highlighter girl myself but Tayla (who's pretty much just as pale as me) loves using a bit of bronzer to have her skin looking a little warmer! She likes to use either The Body Shop Honey Bronzer Bronzing Powder ($22.00 AUD) in shade #01 or the NARS Laguna Bronzing Powder ($49.00 AUD). For highlighter and blush, I regularly like to use The Balm's Mary-Lou Manizer ($34.95 AUD) and a NARS powder blush in the shade Sex Fantasy ($39.00) which was unfortunately a limited edition shade but there are plenty similar to it in drugstores and other high-end brands.

I hope some of my fellow pale pals will have found some new products to try and please recommend any that you think I might like to try myself!

Thank you for reading, love Maddie ♡♡♡

4 comments:

  1. What was the best Drugstore sunscreen that worked for you? Loved this post! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! The best Drugstore sunscreen for me was the Cancer Council Everday sunscreen SPF30+. I used this for a few years actually but it's really, really thick and very greasy!

      Delete
  2. Please what is the number of shade of the Clinique concealer you mentioned above. I found Nars concealer in vanilla too dark for me, is the clinique one lighter? Thanks a lot:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Clinique one isn't lighter but since writing this post I have discovered that NARS do the creamy concealer in one shade lighter than Vanilla, it's called Chantilly and I've started using it myself because it's that much paler!

      Delete